Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hypomania

Now that I reread that previous entry, I wonder about the sharp edges. I still think there are none when it comes to solutions. No clear route presents itself. However, occasional moments of black and white, extreme contrast, do present themselves. I have recently been told the acute sense of other people's errors is a symptom of hypomania. Irritability does not reach the threshold of true mania. I am curious about the term hypomania. A hyper thyroid is overactive while hypothyroidism means under activity. So is hypomania an underachieving mania? Could there even exist a hypermania?
I have to agree with Eddie Izzard in his observation of dyslexia as a term. He commented that dyslexia is not such a swell choice to label a disorder suffered by people who have trouble with spelling. Why not call it "bonk?" I think that people who come up with some of the labels need to examine their process. Getting back to hypomania, isn't the term mania an extreme already? To me that implies no possibility of hypermania. Consider the derivative maniac. That label plainly describes ultimate behavior and not a continuum. Or am I wrong? Are there classes of extreme? Could someone be hypermanic or even uber manic? Hypo suggests under, less, insufficient. Hypoglycemia is another example. I cannot define that one but I believe it has to do with sugar production and there is the contrasting hyperglycemia.
What this all comes down to is that hypomania is a misnomer. How can there be less that sufficient mania? The set of symptoms delineates a real condition, but call it something else. Otherwise the treatment should aim for increasing the insufficient symptoms until true mania is achieved.

No comments: