Monday, January 11, 2010


After having commented on Vick returning to football, I thought it would only be fair to likewise say something about Mark McGwire's confession and his return to a coaching position with the Cardinals. After all, I am a St. Louisan, so I should watch my own backyard first.
There are several differences between Vick's and McGwire's cases, as there are differences between McGwire and , say, a cocaine using athlete.


  • Steroids were not banned by baseball when McGwire used them.

  • No animals were harmed by his use.

  • McGwire did not have t-shirts made advertising any illegal activities.

  • Steroid use did not hinder his ability to perform in a way the club expected.

  • Except for the danger to his own health, McGwire did not threaten the safety of his family.

If Vick's case gave hope to out of work felons, the McGwire's example might be one of how to get around congressional scrutiny.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I have heard this debate before with similar results. This sounds so familiar. Not joking, now I'm annoyed that I don't remember who it was!