Sunday, January 10, 2010

Comedy and God

We went to see Eddie Izzard last evening. His flight of ideas style is wonderful and something I totally understand. I was thrown a bit by his not believing in God. I wanted to have a theological discussion with him which is what I did in my head. It is a sad comment on much of Europe and so called scientific persons that God does not fit into their world view. Then I realized I was there for the comedy, and that was great--even the pokes at the papacy. I guess I can go as far as the Monty Pythonesque big personage telling King Arthur not to grovel, but I am not cool enough to give up on God. He/She has a sense of humor. Of that I am sure.
If you know me well enough to talk with me, ask about the badger joke.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I had an email penpal once right after Sophia was born--her daughter was two weeks younger--and we wrote back and forth a long time about breastfeeding and weight loss and mothering. Then at one point she mentioned she was an atheist. Not in a strong angry way but just said it in a note to me. I replied, she replied, etc, but that was when I stopped really wanting to connect with her. I don't care what religion or belief system or "undecided" or whatever you might be. I just have trouble with folks who step that far out away from me. I guess that's my comfort zone.