Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Squirrel Wars


About the squirrels. . .We have a small fountain on our back, outside wall next to the door that leads from the kitchen to a small deck of about 10X10 square feet. The fountain has a pump that circulates water through a lions mouth into a semi circular bowl that overfills into a second, larger bowl. It provides a pleasant water trickling sound and is visually pleasing as well. Occasionally we add a little bleach to the water to cut down on algae growth. Chlorine or no, the local squirrel population has deemed the fountain their watering hole. I do not begrudge them the fluid refreshment, but washing squirrel excrement from our only path back to our parking area on the alley has become a daily chore. This is not a few stray turds. I can only conclude that the water has a laxative effect. The first few feet out our back door is liberally sprinkled with poop every morning. It is unsanitary and dragging the stuff in on our shoes is an added feature.
We have upped the chlorine content to no avail. My husband added Joy to the mix which created a sudsy sculpture between the bowls but did not reduce the squirrel droppings. I would think that they are only coming to make use of the facility as a restroom, but if we disconnect the pump and allow the fountain to run dry, we are left no little gifts.
We own two cats who are completely useless in this instance. Not only are they indoor cats, they also show no inclination to even want to venture outside. I have considered leaving the back door open at night to expose the nocturnal poop distributors to the meows through the screens, but we sleep on the second floor and the cats offer no security.
There is a neighbor cat who likes to sun on our back walk, but she finds her home each night, so my plan to feed her and assure her loyalty is not going to help.
I have considered a perigrine falcon. I am just not sure I could deal with any extra squirrel carcasses, and the neighbors who own small dogs might complain. I know I could turn off the fountain, but then they win. I even tried a liberal distribution of chili powder around the periphery of the apparatus. There were squirrel prints in the powder the following day. All of this makes me look forward to a hard freeze and winterizing the fountain: cleaning and drying it.
There is a nesting pair of redtailed hawks over in Tower Grove Park, but how to entice. . .

No comments: