Saturday, November 1, 2008

Voting

I am voting for McCain. He is not my hero, but as I mature, I find that politics and heroics rarely mix. He is just closer to my way of thinking on several fronts. I fully understand that there will be people who vote for Senator McCain whom I would never consider inviting into my home. They may be mixed up in various special interest groups that I would rather not support. Recognizing strange bedfellows, however, does not make me hesitate to cast my precious vote for the Republican. I also admit that he was not my choice for the Republican ticket. Now I have but two choices, McCain and Senator Obama. Other possibilities will not actually win the electoral votes, so it is down to these two men and their policies. I am probably more conservative than McCain on some fiscal issues, and I am more liberal on some social issues. He still better represents my way of thinking, as far as I can tell in this imperfect world of media and campaigning, than Obama ever would. I have to add that at least a small percentage of my decision is based on gut. There you have it. Please do not assume this is a knee jerk reaction or that my thinking is necessarily flawed by racism or succumbing to rumor. I have not abandoned thought or hope. I have merely decided.

No comments: