Monday, November 17, 2008

Feliz Navidad

There is a radio station coming out of East St. Louis, 101.2 FM I think, that is changing formats the first of the year. In the meantime, they have chosen to play all Christmas and have been for about a month. I used to be irritated by commercial pushes of Christmas into November and even October, but with age has come a desire to live outside of reality occasionally. So I am hooked on Christmas songs and Halloween is barely over. Who knows--next year I may get out the Christmas albums, as in vinyl records, in July.
Yesterday I had dropped my husband at an appointment and was listening to my guilty pleasure when some little gremlins almost spoiled my mood. First there was a rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" not by Karen Carpenter (That rendition gives me a chill when I think that she probably wanted to eat the sheet music even without condiments) but by Gloria Estefan, or maybe it was Mariah Carey. It was awful and breathy and left a sour taste in my mouth. I am obviously learning disabled when it comes to pop divas, but the song that followed the above atrocity could have been redeeming if sung by the right artist. It was "Feliz Navidad" by--are you sitting down?--Celine Dion. Isn't she French Canadian or something? I felt I was in some previously undiscovered space warp. Would I ever find Christmas again? Finally there was an instrumental of "The Carol of the Bells" and I was able to breathe again.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

Oh yeah, those versions suck.

But I still can't stop listening to that station...

Bridgett said...

OH OH--the worst offender: AIR SUPPLY singing Sleigh Ride. No one should do Sleigh Ride except Boston Pops. Ever.