Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ferguson IV

This is night 2 of the Ferguson Announcement. Media have had a day to dissect and interpret for us. Businesses on South Grand, around the corner from my home, have had time to board up broken windows. Some volunteers have even painted murals on the raw plywood. And I am checking myself for signs of fear. Some of what I feel could be termed fear, I guess.  I am afraid that damage to small businesses and even franchises might cause them to move away. I am also not looking forward to another night of dumpster fires and broken glass, close by, and major destruction, in Ferguson.  But what I connect with viscerally is anger. I am angry that a young black man's life ended tragically, angry that a young white policeman's life has been all but ruined, angry that idiots who claim the business owners "have insurance" break glass, set fires and loot. I don't want to hide or cry. I want to punch someone. Does that mean I understand the anger of some of the protesters? Maybe, but I know that long term hard work is what we need, not short term violence fixes and media ops.Maturity and compromise may not be glamorous but they just might work.

No comments: